The Principles of Living a Prosperous Life
Everyone dreams of living a long and prosperous life. It’s good to have such dreams, but you can’t have a prosperous and the good life by living anyhow. There are principles that must be followed to achieve this. In fact, there are principles for every facet of life. For example, what you sow is what you get. What goes up must come down. These are just examples. Whether we understand these principles or not, we live by them. And we have to realise that these principles are there not to punish us but to help us live well.
In Psalm 34:12, David asked, “What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good?“, (KJV). In another translation, it read, “Do you want to really live? Would you love to live a long, happy life?“, (NET). I believe everyone wants to live and have a long and happy life. If that is not what you want, then something must be wrong with you, because even as evil as the world gets, it is in our genetic make-up to hope for a better life. Every human beings wants to live a long life full of good things. And I encourage you to want the same.
However, according to King David, the following are the principles that must be followed to live the good life. If you want to live the good life, you must follow these principles.
1. Keep thy tongue from evil (Psalm 34:13a): You must desist from speaking evil. Don’t indulge your self in evil communications. For the Holy Spirit by the mouth of Paul said, “Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.“, (1 Corinthians 15:33). You’ll not enjoy this life by spending your time speaking evil words.
2. Keep thy lips from guile (Psalm 34:13b): In another translation, it says, “Don’t use deceptive words”, (NET). There is no benefit for the man or woman who indulges in deceit. If you’re someone who likes to speak lies or deceive people, then you won’t enjoy the long life, which is full of prosperity. Our Lord Jesus Christ refers to those who speak lies as people who are of the Devil, (John 8:44). If those who make lying their bedfellows are referred to us children of the Devil, why would anyone want to to lie? Remember, if you want to enjoy the good life which is promised in Jesus, desist from speaking lies.
3. Depart from evil (Psalm 34:14a): It is not enough to stop speaking evil words. You must desist from all evil acts such as fornication, murder, bribery, corruption, backbiting, homosexuality, disrespect towards godly authorities, etc.
4. Do good (Psalm 34:14a): You are encouraged to do good. Help people as long as you have the power to do it. Your pre-occupation should be about doing the right thing in the sight of God. As long as you continue to do good, you’ll enjoy long life and prosperity, because blessings will come your way.
5. Seek peace and pursue it (Psalm 34:14b): It is very important to make the attempt to live in peace with everybody. As long as we live in society people will offend you. But you need to find a way to live in peace with everyone. The Holy Spirit spoke by Paul and said, “If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men“, (Romans 12:18). As long as you have the desire to live in peace with everyone, you’ll have peace. According to David, seeking peace alone is not enough, but you must pursue it. If you have done your best to live in peace with someone according to the scriptures and the person refuses to have anything to do with you, let him be, (Matthew 18:15-17)
You’ll live a long and happy life if you followed the above principles.
By: Seth Gogo Egoeh